Postpartum care begins the day after the birth when I journey to the client's home once again. I check the mother for involution of the uterus, her blood pressure, pulse and temperature. I want to know that she has eaten, replenished fluids and is resting. I like to talk to the moms about breast-feeding also. I like to check the vitals of the baby and want to know that s/he is urinating, moving meconium through the system and nursing well.
The next visits are scheduled at five days, two or three weeks and six weeks after the birth. I continue to monitor the vitals of both mom and baby, and I like to weigh the babies at each of these visits. I will also perform the metabolic screening and record information for the birth certificate at the five day visit.
- Day after visit at the home
- Health assessment of mother and child
- Breast feeding help/discussion
- Future visits at 5 days, 2-3 weeks and 6 weeks
- Baby's and mother's health is monitored at each visit
- Birth certificate is submitted